It’s so easy to just make good ol’ basmati rice. Rice, add water and push the rice cooker button. Easy-Peasy. Want to take your meal to the next level and not spend hours doing so? This is the recipe for you!
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of boiling water
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of cane sugar
- 4 tsp of powder chicken soup base
- 8 tbsp of oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 8 green cardamoms, tips snipped off
- 1 tsp of black peppercorn
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 4 two-inch pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
1.Lightly rinse the rice several times without crushing the grains.
2. Let the rice soak in warm water for 10 minutes.
3.Prepare all the spices into a bowl and set aside.
4.Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5.Heat the oil in a dutch over or other pot that can go into the oven. Saute the onions until lightly golden. Add all the spices and soup base. Stir until well incorporated and fry for a minute.
6. Drain the rice and add to the pan. Fry for one minute and add the boiling water. Remove from heat, cover and place into the hot oven.
7.Bake for 10 minutes. Turn off the over. Do not open and leave the rice for another 10 minutes.
8. Take out from the oven, stir the rice lightly with a fork and serve hot.
Notes from Miriam:
- When making basmati rice, the ratio is always 1 cups of rice to 2 cups of water. If you are making 4 cups or more, take out 1/5 of the last cup of water.
- Finding cinnamon, fennel seeds, cardamon or cloves in your bite may not be very enjoyable. For all the taste and none of the hassle, wrap those spices into gauze. You can easily the package from the dish before serving!
- Make sure you break up the cinamon into small pieces for the best flavours.